A dolphin “asks” for help in viral video
Hi SITF fans!
Have any of you seen this video that has been on the news and all over the internet the past couple of days? Professional SCUBA divers in Hawaii, on a manta ray tour, encountered a bottlenose dolphin tangled in fishing line. The dolphin lingers near them for a while and then appears to ask for help in removing the hook and fishing line. You can check the video out here.
And then stay tuned to this blog because author Pamela S. Turner, whose upcoming book The Dolphins of Shark Bay, is all about the intelligence of dolphins, weighs in on this video and the dolphin’s behavior. And so does Loree Griffin Burns, whose book Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion covers all sorts of topics including ghost nets (stray fishing lines) and the destructive nature of plastics in our oceans.
by Erica Zappy
- Follow Along As We Storm Chase In Tornado Alley
- Is It Tornado Season Where You Live?
- Ultima Journey Update
- Fall 2018 Osprey Update!
- All Hands on Deck to Support the Southern Residents
- Ospreys in Missoula: Spring 2018 Update
- SLJ Interview Gives Readers a Behind the Scenes Look
- Crows Aren’t the Only Smart Birds in Town
- Big News for Scientist in the Field Scott Dowd
- NEW RESOURCE FOR STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING