TWO days until Curiosity Lands!
Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity, featured in The Mighty Mars Rovers, were basically wrapped in air bags and dropped on the red planet to bounce, bounce, bounce until they came to a stop. Opportunity bounced 26 times! The Mars rover Curiosity, due to land August 5, has a completely different landing process. Here’s a great one-minute video that shows three ways of landing on Mars. Curiosity will be using the third:
by Elizabeth Rusch
About Elizabeth Rusch
Elizabeth lives in Portland, Oregon, with her family. The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity was her first book for the Scientists in the Field series, followed by Eruption! – about vulcanologists – scientists who study volcanoes--and her newest book, The Next Wave: The Quest to Harness the Power of the Oceans. You can visit Liz online at www.elizabethrusch.com.
- Follow Along As We Storm Chase In Tornado Alley
- Is It Tornado Season Where You Live?
- Ultima Journey Update
- Fall 2018 Osprey Update!
- All Hands on Deck to Support the Southern Residents
- Ospreys in Missoula: Spring 2018 Update
- SLJ Interview Gives Readers a Behind the Scenes Look
- Crows Aren’t the Only Smart Birds in Town
- Big News for Scientist in the Field Scott Dowd
- NEW RESOURCE FOR STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING